I have now successfully completed my 72-hour Permaculture Design Certificate with last Saturday’s grand finale Permablitz a roaring success. The transformation of this private backyard was truly incredible. Shona and her kids now have an amazing garden to eat, work, entertain and play in. I’d estimate we had at least 40 people volunteer (with plenty more friends of Shona’s rocking up late in the day to drink beer and watch the rest of us sweat.)
- a mandala herb garden out front which looks amazing
- revamped chook shed and new yard – very happy chooks!
- four new sheet mulched garden beds on swales
- several regeneration beds planted with lupins and other green manures
- three new compost bays with new compost
- a worm farm
- a duck pond made from a spa, with enclosure (didn’t quite get that finished)
- a fairy garden for Shona’s kids with a bumblebee fairy scarecrow, freshly painted cubby house, window boxes and garden planted with tactile, perfumed, pretty and edible plants like mint, lavender, marigolds etc – so cute!
- a wicking bed
- shade structures creating a verandah for the west side of the house